Wednesday, April 13, 2016

HERE AND THERE

Sometimes my husband, Phil, goes out-of-town because he is involved in a church choir recording event.  He takes his recording equipment and microphones and pre-amps and sub something or others... and lots of other recording gear with names I cannot remember... and travels to a church somewhere, sets it all up, records the choir, the soloists, mixes and masters it... and then the church goes through the process of choosing a CD cover and in just a few weeks they have a church choir CD to bless and encourage others with.  He loves doing it.  He loves the music. He loves the people.  He just loves being there.

Usually, I stay here while he is there (where ever "there" happens to be).

Truth is, though, that I don't like to be here while Phil is there.   

He's my buddy.  We've been together since we were both teenagers. We are one. On the day he returns from one of his recordings, and we are together, the Universe is as it should be.

Nice.  Good for you.  So what?

Well.... I have observed... that not caring about the "Here and There" situation of being a Christian is one of the reasons so many followers of

"The One Who Is There And Seated At The Right Hand Of The Father"

get tripped up and discouraged.   Every sin, bad attitude, unforgiving heart, idolatry, envy, discouragement, anger, disillusionment, resentment and failure comes because of my (our) focus on HERE. What we have HERE, what we don't have HERE.  What we want HERE, what we aren't getting HERE.  What is working out the way we planned HERE what is not working out the way we planned HERE.  HERE.. HERE... HERE... The focus that is the root of all the discontentment in so many disciples.

"HERE not THERE" is our focus if we would be honest.  

The "HERE NOT THERE" focus we followers insist on is the reason so many of us keep stepping on the faith destroying land mines that are continuallly blowing us off the straight and narrow.  When we do have "Thoughts Of There"  it's usually only because we want Him to change things Here. And, often He does. Because He is loving and merciful and He cares for us. But

The honest-to-God Truth is that while we are Here, our focus should be There. 

True, it isn't easy.  But...this isn't something I'm making up just to have something to blog about.

Oh, no, the "THERE not HERE" Concept is ALL THROUGH THE NEW TESTAMENT.   We have to make the choice about how we are going to walk through life.  It's easier to choose "HERE not THERE" until we are reminded that God has spoken that our endurance will come through a "THERE not HERE" focus.

We just mostly ignore it.

Like for example here:
That's what the "ancients were commended for."  (Heb. 11:2).

To make things even more wonderful.. we are reminded that Christians are the only group of people on earth who are "Here" and "There"  at the present time.  
We are now seated with Christ (Eph. 2:6).
We are now the Royal Priesthood (1 Peter 2:9)

We are encouraged to remember that "our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."  (2 Corinthians 4:17-18)


BUT

Try reminding a Christian who hates his job that what he is enduring is a LIGHT and MOMENTARY trouble.. and that he should be thankful that God is using it to achieve an ETERNAL GLORY for him.  Eternal glory? Who cares about eternal glory? I want a promotion.  I need a raise. I hate my boss. I imagine he'd be offended and stop speaking to you.

Or.. try telling someone that whatever is SEEN isn't worth worrying about because it's purely TEMPORARY.  And that the focus of life should be on unseen things that are ETERNAL.  You will seem heartless and unfeeling.
That's why, I will confess,  I often belong to the "HERE NOT THERE" Club.

I want HERE to be perfect. 
I don't care about THERE.

However, the promise from God is that THERE will be perfect.
And HERE we will have trouble that Jesus has overcome for us.

HOWEVER....I want my focus to be where God wants it to be.
Because it's what brings peace. It's how I will OVERCOME and ENDURE.
So I ask the Holy Spirit to change my focus.
I admit I cannot do it without His help.
And He helps me.

While I am HERE, my focus should SO be on the reality of THERE that my heart is in tune with the heart of God --

"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9) 

God has me HERE so that my family, my friends, my neighbors, my co-workers are reminded that what happens HERE is what will determine how we will live forever THERE.   It's true that some of them think I'm too heavenly minded. I find it so interesting that it's often the people who are too "earthly minded" who freely attach that label to others.

When Phil is finally HERE at home with me instead of THERE without me... I am one with the one I married.  The Universe is as it should be.

When I am finally THERE  in the Presence of the Lord instead of HERE on this decaying planet...  I will be finally be home and together forever with the Love Of My Life.  And the Universe will be as it should have been from the beginning.

"Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory."

Colossians 3:1-4 
(New Living Translation) 




No comments: