Tuesday, April 11, 2017

THE PHONE CALL

One phone call can change your life.  You're just sitting there, your phone rings, and someone on the other end is saying something you don't want to hear.  You don't want to hear that someone's child is not recovering from a serious illness; you don't want to hear that a friend has been rushed to the hospital; you don't want to hear about that accident involving someone you love.


The last two days have been filled with hearing things I don't want to hear. 

I cannot control what people say.  I cannot control what happens to people. I cannot control bad news.  And at times, I cannot control my emotions.  I cannot make myself NOT CARE about what I just heard. Sometimes it isn't ONE BIG earth shattering thing that gets you down - but a bunch of small things coming all at once.  Last night, at about 8:30 the flood of sadness just overwhelmed me.  For a number of reasons, I felt completely alone and abandoned.
Now, the truth is just the opposite.  My life is filled with people I love and who love me back. Still, when one small thing after another hits you all at once, it can get to you.

I tried to read the Word, but my eyes were not seeing.  I tried to pray but my heart was not in it.  In my brain I knew/know that my life was/is perfectly blessed. Still, I was sad about so many things I had heard.  And as whiny as I know I am being, I missed my mother.  I missed my father. I just wanted to talk to someone who loves me.  I whispered that to the Lord.  

And then the phone call came.
I looked at my phone and it was Carol.
My friend.
She was just calling to say "hi"
I know the Holy Spirit prompted her to call.
His timing, as always, was perfect.
It was not a coincidence.
It was my Father in heaven.
I'm so thankful she followed His lead.
It was exactly the person I needed. 
God knew that.
When our call was finished, so was the sadness.
I am good. 


One phone call can change your life. 
A few months ago, we were visiting with some friends in another state. Their family - children, grandchildren - were visiting also.  We love these people.  And I was surprised to hear that one of the family members, who is the pastor of a very large and healthy church, had been so discouraged decades ago about his faith in God, his call to ministry.  As a matter of fact, one day he drove home to tell his wife that he was not going to continue his seminary training. He was quitting.  And he told me that I called him. At that exact moment.  I don't even remember doing so.  But evidently, I called him to say that he had been on my mind, he had been in my heart all day that day. And I encouraged him to keep going.  I don't remember what I said. I don't remember making the phone call, but he did.  He told me it was a turning point for him to realize that God DID CARE and DID HEAR.  He continued on and became a pastor.  Who knew what God was going to do through a phone call?  God did.

O.K. So what?
  
Let me suggest to you that when someone comes to your mind today, maybe it isn't just a random thought BUT THE HOLY SPIRIT placing that person on your heart.  

Make the call.  Pick up the phone.  Let them know that you were thinking about them. Don't let yourself be talked out of it.  Don't assume you are not God's instrument of peace in someone's life today.  

If the Holy Spirit is the One who orchestrated your encouragement, then God's will has been accomplished.  If it WAS just a random thought, then at the very least, you connected with a friend.  The world is FULL of people whose hearts are breaking, who wonder if God sees them and cares about them.  Maybe God would like to borrow your voice and your phone to call His discouraged child today and say, "I see you.  I care. I'm right here. Right now."

MAKE THE CALL.  

One phone call can change someone's life. 

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called 'Today,' so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness.

Hebrews 3:13 (NIV)



No comments: