Wednesday, January 4, 2017

YOU HIDE. HE SEEKS.

Don't you feel sorry for the guy hiding under this box? It's pitiful that because he cannot see, he believes he is not seen.  I would like to suggest that hiding is the secret weapon that our enemy uses to weaken the Body of Christ.

Hiding is something we all do from time to time because when we are hidden away we believe we are safe.   Like Gideon hid in a cave because his enemies were too strong for him.  Like David hid from Saul.  Like Adam and Eve hid from God.  When things around us become too much, too scary, too challenging, it's just easier to hide.  

Why do we hide?

Sin makes us hide.  The first thing sin did when Adam and Eve disobeyed was cause them to hide from God.  Like the guy in the picture, they were only fooling themselves. They weren't hidden even while they were hiding.  Hebrews 4:13 says, "Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."   When you hide, you cannot see the glory of God, you cannot see His plan for victory and joy and freedom in your life.  But just because you can't see God, doesn't mean He doesn't see you.

Pride makes us hide.  We have believed the lie that somehow we are supposed to be perfect. Our marriage is supposed to be perfect. Our families are supposed to be perfect.  We are supposed to be perfect. So when we - they -  are not, our pride makes us hide.  Fear of rejection from the very Holy Family that God has given us to get through life together.

But that's not the picture of the Family of God that God describes to us. 

"If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin." 1 John 1:7

There can be many explanations for the pathway to hiding. Gossip is a big one.  But.. even so.. we are called to walk transparently before one another, knowing that any weakness, any failure, any less-than-perfect part of our lives is purified by THE BLOOD OF JESUS.  

When we are walking in the light THEN we have true fellowship with one another.  People who hide themselves are often unaware that people around them can "see" their struggles. People around them are longing to be there, to be love, to be help and compassion.  

The fact that we rarely do this is not reason enough to believe we should not.  
I would like to encourage you to answer honestly, speak truthfully and simply be who you really are.  It's better to have one person who loves the REAL YOU.. than a thousand people who love a hidden, not-genuine you. 

Hiding - our weaknesses, our failures, our problems -  seems easier.  So we take a box and put it over our heads.

But just because you cannot see, doesn't mean you aren't seen.

Come out, come out where ever you are.


"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn,if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me,your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you."
Psalm 139:7-12

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going through this now, I had to hide away, because I can't deal with people, and I need a break. It doesn't mean I am not with the Lord though. Even Jesus had to get away to a quiet place by himself sometimes.